King Farm Bed Part 2:
Continuing on from my King Farm Bed Part One progress.... Here is the way I finished the bed once I had the frame built.
The next step I needed to complete was to pick up some plywood from Lowes to place on the bed frame since I knew I was using a mattress but no box spring.
I used a gift card I received from my friend Katie Jo and had the Lowes guy cut the boards to fit my measurements. Two boards at 79 inches long and 39 1/2 inches wide. He cut them perfectly despite the fact that he was too busy asking me out on a date. I turned him down politely. Considering he was like 20 something and I am 34, it helps to know I still got it! Snap, snap, snap!
|The Lowes guy preparing to cut my boards.|
For the legs, I cut 4 total 2x4's at 12 inches, two for each side of the front of the frame. Here is how I assembled them:
I stacked up a few scrap pieces of wood to raise the leg two inches from the frame. I attached one leg to the frame corner with glue and two wood screws.
Note: This is the frame turned upside down.
Then I added one 2x4 perpendicular to that leg:
Then I glued and screwed them together, and used a square clamp to help join them, creating a perfect "square" leg:
|More screws anbd glue to hold legs together.|
Now it was time to add the side boards:
The reason I only used finishing nails was because I had a feeling the bed might have to be taken apart some to get it inside of the house. Turns out this was a great precaution since later I did have to take it apart to get it through the door!
Next, I had to make sure all was level, and it was!
Then I added the plywood and had the kids test the sturdiness:
|Popsicle and Dance Party to "Call Me Maybe" on the bed.|
Next was time to sand, stain and fill in all holes. Then I predrilled holes for the frame to attach to the headboard.
The stain I used is Ebony:
|This stuff is the closest to black you can get without actually "painting" the bed black.|
|All stained up and ready to go.|
Now comes a snag, Please learn from my mistake!
Once I added the mattress there was too much space in between the top of the mattress to the bottom of the headboard...read: pillows falling back behind bed... so annoying!
So, I had to cut the back legs on the headboard down by 5 inches each. I used my circular saw to cut them down. It worked fine.
Then I added 3 coats of poly-acrylic to the side boards and 4 coats to the headboard.
So, it took 3 adults to carry the bed upstairs, and we had to take off the side rails to get it in, Next time I build a king bed I will make the frame in two parts.
Once the bed was upstairs, I attached the side rails to the frame again. I screwed in countersunk screws 3 per side rail from the front, then refilled them with wood filler and restained the holes.
I attached the headboard to the frame with two allen head fine pitched (the threads) machine screws.
Here is the bed completed in the guest room:
The sheets were given to me by my mom, and the duvet cover is from Ikea it's called Ofelia Vass.
Pillows from Ikea and Ross.
Hope you like this tutorial!