Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Rustic X Console Table with Distressed Hardware

Rustic X Console Table with Distressed Hardware

Happy Fall, readers! 

Here is my (second to) latest build. 

Please note that essentially, I used the great Ana White's pattern for the table, but changed the sizing and hardware a bit. 

Click here for the pattern and link to her fabulous site. -- Rustic X Console Table

A few things to note about my table:

The sizing was customized and shortened to fit behind a love seat which is shorter that a standard sofa. 

Actual dimensions: 

57 inches long x 16 inches wide x 30 inches tall. 

Lets take a look at the stain color: 

I almost always mix my own stain color to match other factory made furniture. This one was customized by mixing 3 parts Cabot Brown Mahogany and 1 part Minwax Provincial. I mix it in a 2 quart size rubbermaid container with a lid. 

Next, for the finishing, I sanded the entire piece using my handheld sheet sander in 3 grits of sandpaper, 80, 120 then 300 grit, I vacuumed off the sawdust then,  painted on 3 coats of poly-acrylic semi-gloss finish and allowed to dry. 

To finish off the console table, I worked on the hardware. I wanted a rustic looking set of hardware. 

Here is a short tutorial on how I made the corner brackets and bolt heads. 

Closer-up view of hardware. 

For the corner brackets:

I purchased 4-  3 inch "L brackets" for each corner. They came standard silver color. I spray painted them black then after it dried I took a lighter and "burned" the brackets by holding one end with a pair of pliers. This made the bracket look more rustic and not so "perfect".  Danger note: I realize the paint may have been flammable but turns out- this process did not set me on fire. I used my impact driver to screw in the silver screws. Then took a cotton ball and dabbed some of the black paint onto the screw heads to make look black-ish the goal here was for them not to look perfect or uniform. 

For the inset carriage bolts:

 I purchased 8, 3/4 inch top, 3 inch long galvanized carriage bolts they looked like this when I bought them: 

I spray painted the tops black then used my lighter to "distress" the paint once it dried. 

I wanted these to be "inset" so I used a one inch paddle bit to create an indention in the wood. To clean it up, I used my dremmel rotary sanding collet to sand out the hole. 

Paddle bits. 

Then, I drilled a long hole with my drill and tapped them all the way in in with a rubber hammer. 

That is all.... Hope you enjoyed this build. 

Like us on Facebook!