|Looks great in my Morning Room!|
Solving the problem of not having a casual dining set.
Essentially I used these plans from Ana-white.com for her Farmhouse Table Plans. I definitely modified it a little.
Here are the inspirations for the Farmhouse table from much more expensive stores:
Pottery Barn's version of a Rustic Dining Set and bench and chairs.
Restoration Hardwares version of reclaimed wood Farmhouse table and chairs set.
Since I had a ton of leftover wood planks from my sister-in-laws hardwood flooring from next door. I decided instead of using multiple wood planks for the top, like the plan calls for, I'd just use 3 of my wider ones.
First, for the sets of legs for the table I dismantled a cafe height table I already had but never used because the height was awkward and not comfortable. Here is the before piece of furniture I tore apart.
I know, I know I'm sure some people would say (like my mom) "Who takes a perfectly good piece of furniture and tears it apart?" The answer....me! I love to take furniture, dismantle it and then turn it into something else. Its therapeutic for me. In case you are wondering what I am going to do with the rest of it, I am going to turn the top into a coffee table and the stools into benches. So, moving on....
I cut down the legs by about 5 inches and sanded the finish off of the legs with my black and decker orbital sander. Incidentally, since I started wearing a mask only half way through the project, I ended up getting a sinus infection from the sawdust going into my nose and through my sinuses, it was horrible. I am still taking horse pills for the infection. Lesson learned!
I don't have pics step by step of the construction, but you can see basically what I did.
I started by adding two 1x 6's for the sides to connect the leg ends.
Then, I reused the diagonal supports from the old table for stability, you can see that here:
Then, I built the top. The top consisted of three 12 inch wood flooring planks that were already cut tounge and groove so they fit perfectly together, I glued the grooves then attached from underneath with screws.. I purchased two 1x10's for the breadboard ends.
|3 wood planks, I love the character of the wood.|
I attached the breadboards from the top with countersunk screws. I really wanted the rustic look of the countersunk circles so that's why I attached them from the top, not underneath, like I did on the 3 wood planks.
|Breadboards are the end pieces.|
|Counter-sunk screw, filled in with wood filler, then sanded smooth.|
Then, on to the other trim. I added a 1x2 support trim under the table top and then some cove moulding just to make it look more finished.
|Two piece trim, 1x2 then cove moulding attached with wood glue and finishing brad nails.|
Then I sanded, sanded, sanded, with my orbital sander, first with 80 grit then with 120 grit. Again, I wanted this table to look rustic so I really liked some of the not-so- perfect parts of the table.
I mixed a stain of Minwax Provencial and Minwax Ebony. Appx a 3 to 1 ratio mix. I stained it 2 coats, with a rag, then added 4 coats with a paintbrush (lightly sanding with 220 grit sandpaper between each coat) of Minwax poly-crylic to protect the finish.
|After about 2 coats of poly. It needed more.|
The final dimensions are: 36 W x 84 L x 32 H
Here is how it turned out:
Hope you enjoyed this project. Working on the bench and chairs now.
Thanks for checking out this project!