Wednesday, November 14, 2012

How to create a false cut using a table saw.


How to create a False Cut



False cuts are used when you want to add detail to a piece of wood without cutting completely through the wood. You are cutting "grooves" in the wood in order to create the look of a drawer or separation. 

You will need: 

A table saw
Ruler
Scrap wood to test cut depth 
Piece of wood you wish to cut 
Safety items: glasses, mask, and ear protection if needed. 

First, determine the depth of the cut you want with your ruler. For my project I want a 1/8 inch false cut. I set my table saw blade at a 1/8 inch raise. 



Then I lowered the safety cover and ran my scrap 2x2 across the blade. 


I used my scrap 2x2 to test cut:



I measured it and it was perfect!

Now on to the "real piece" of wood I want to cut to create the look of a drawer separation.

I laid it down on the table saw and determined where the cut should be. I butted the end up to the fence of the saw in order to keep it steady when cutting.




Then I ran my board across the glad and pulled all the way through. 





The end result was perfect!

Don't have a perfect picture of the false cut, but here it is when added to the project. 




False cut is seen in center. 
Love false cuts. They make it look like you did more work than you really did. It looks as if you made drawers, but really you did not. 





4 comments:

  1. At the heart of any serious shop is usually a good table saw reviews. If you are new to using one, there are some deserved fears you are probably experiencing every time you reach for the on switch. The idea of a razor sharp blade spinning at incredible speed within inches of your fingers is enough to make a person wince just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since, I always prefer quality over price, so it was truly a pleasure for me to be able to find the table saw online at the unbeatable prices at www.BestPowerToolsHQ.com. as it helped me this site to buy the right product.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Wow…outstanding service and products to meet our office needs. I Love all and the colors you choose are perfect. I want this furniture for my new house. Thanks a lot for sharing
    furniture manufacturers in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete