Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Mattress and Linens for Doll Bed Tutorial

Tutorial for Mattress, Quilt and Pillows





How to make the bed. 

Hello readers, and followers. Hope you enjoyed the tutorial for the trundle bed frame. Here comes the sewing part... its really easy!!


You will need (for one mattress):

Insert of high density foam, foam mattress, or anything you can use as padding (cut to fit size of bed frame)

20 inch wide x 23 inch long piece of fabric- any kind...fleece, cotton

First, I cut the foam to fit inside of each frame. My foam is 3/4 inch thick, and it measures 22.5 inches long x 9.5 inches wide. 

Here is how I made the mattresses (I made two of them)-

Foam insert, cut to size

Then, I folded my fabric right sides together (longways) and sewed an L shape - (this is how you make a pillowcase) leaving one side open. 

See my seams? I used black thread so you could see where I sewed.
Just kidding! I was too lazy to change my bobbin to white. LOL!
Next, I cut off excess fabric from around the edges and then I turned it inside out. 

I sewed open the raw edges back just a tiny bit about 1/4 inch to make them look neater. 

And then... ironed it flat. 

Ironing w/ steam

Then I covered the foam with the "pillowcase" it fits snug- you don't want it to be loose. 

One open end.



Then I sewed the finished open edges together. 

Closing the end
Ta da!

Now for the quilts-

For one quilt you need:

Fabric- light weight like cotton or cotton blend 22 inches long  x 24 inches wide

A heavier insert 12x 21.5 - I used canvas scrap fabric- you could use fleece anything heavier than the cotton top. 

Here is how I sewed them...

First I made the top cover just like I did the mattress cover, creating a "pillowcase". I put right sides together and sewed an L shape about 1/2 inch in like this:


My L shape sewing- leaving one end open. 



Then I cut my canvas (single layer) to fit right inside of the "pillowcase". 

Canvas- single layer.



Then I stuffed the "pillowcase" with the canvas. 

Stuffing the canvas inside the case. 
Then I took the open ends and folded them in about 1/4 inch and sewed so the edges would not be scraggly. 

Then ironed it all. 


Next I closed the open end with one big long stitch. 

Sorry, wavy stitching...

Next, for the "quilted" part...I spaced out pins about 2.5 inches from each other the entire length of the fabric.


Then I sewed straight stitches across the width of the fabric where every pin was to create the look of a quilt. I stopped and cut the thread at the end of every row.

**Tip**I guess I could have then turned the quilt the other way and sewed a few lengths to create little squares- but I didn't.

That would make it look even more like a quilt.

See the stitches? It held the canvas in place nicely and created a nice heavier feel.


For the pillows:

Do about the same technique as above but just stuff the pillowcases with stuffing. You could use cotton balls if you had to. The finished size of my pillowcases are 9 inches long x 4 inches size. 

And... because I never changed out my bobbin from black to white- I needed to cover up the black stitching, so I edged the pillow with white scalloped ribbon!

Pillow finished!
Here are a few beauty shots:


Shhhh- McKenna and Josephina asleep!






Hope you enjoyed this tutorial!

Like Us on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/LipstickAndSawdust


Drop me a line.

Kristen





6 comments:

  1. Wow. So nice doll mattress, if I show this site to my daughter she definitely like it. Thank you so much for sharing this one. I hope you can post more. By the way do you want more Sleepys Warranty? Find more here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply want to tell you that I am new to weblog and definitely liked this blog site. Very likely I’m going to bookmark your blog . You absolutely have wonderful stories. Cheers for sharing with us your blog.
    best mattress for lower back pain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once I thought about things like: why such information is for free here? Because when you write a book then at least on selling a book you get a percentage. Thank you and good luck on informing people more about it!
    is memory foam safe

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I cut the foam to fit inside of each frame. My foam is 3/4 inch thick, and it measures 22.5 inches long x 9.5 inches wide. gel memory foam mattress review

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cut the foam to fit inside of each frame. My foam is 3/4 inch thick, and it measures 22.5 inches long x 9.5 inches wide. Consumer Reports reveals top mattress picks

    ReplyDelete